9 июля. Дедлайн подачи заявок на участие в резиденции для кураторов в Швейцарии
Submit the application
July 9, 2017
International Arts Exchange Programme Atelier Mondial and Pro Helvetia, the Swiss Arts Council, have established a new exchange programme for curators in collaboration with independent art space “Ausstellungsraum Klingental”, located in Basel. Now one the pre-eminent international centers of the contemporary art world, Basel and the surrounding region function as a dynamic nexus of people, ideas and work, which at the same time has a creative life outside of the major contemporary art events that are convened annually. In 2018, this residency will target Russia, and the call will be managed through the Moscow office of Pro Helvetia.
Residency in Switzerland: mid-August 2018 to mid-January, 2019 (5 months)
Call for application
The call for application is open to institutional and freelance curators, art educators and art critics from all over Russia who are interested in immersing themselves in the Swiss art scene, doing some deeper research about art in the heart of Europe and establishing a show with local artists in collaboration with the team of “Ausstellungsraum Klingental” and “Atelier Mondial”.
What we expect
The main goal of the curator’s exchange program is to know more about the philosophy and practice of curating in other countries and contexts. We are interested in a critical view from the outside at the local Swiss art scene; for a curator to articulate his/her perception and position on the way of «doing art» in Switzerland. The residency offers the curator from Russia an opportunity to realize an exhibition or event as part of the annual «Regionale» – this is a big exhibition featuring local artists and taking place in/around 16 venues in the tri-national region of Basel (Switzerland), Alsace (France) and Südbaden (Southern Germany).
We expect from the applicant:
- Open-mindedness; willingness to network and cooperate with different people from the regional art scene,
- An interest in the Basel region as a context for creative work and inquiry, and in Swiss/European art in general,
- Commitment to set up a show or a project/event at “Atelier Mondial” in mid-December 2018 — the space for the exhibition is provisional and can be further discussed by the selected curator with “Ausstellungsraum Klingental” team via Skype before the start of the residency,
- willingness to re-invest the Basel network into a project in Russia after coming back,
- fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
To apply please submit:
- letter of motivation, ideally including some preliminary consideration of lines of inquiry that you would want to pursue through the residency, as well as any artists/networks you would specifically want to engage with;
- sketch/abstract of research/project/exhibition at “Atelier Mondial” (or with ideas about other possible spaces – to be discussed with Ausstellungsraum Klingental team);
- rough budget.
What we provide to the incoming curator:
- Accommodation in one of the Atelier Mondial Studios,
- Living and travelling costs: up to CHF 12’000.- (5 months),
- Networking-dinner with curators from Basel in September 2018,
- The opportunity to set up an exhibition or project/event at art space “Atelier Mondial” (or other space) in December 2018 (during the «Regionale»), with the support of local volunteers,
- Contribution to exhibition costs up to maximum CHF 5’000.- plus provision of technical equipment, invitation cards and other support for the promotion of the event,
- Amotivated, active and curious host team with a lot of connections and experience in non-institutional artistic initiatives.
Deadline July 9, 2017
Skype interviews with shortlisted candidates* Mid-August 2017
Final Jury End of August, 2017
* conducted by Atelier Mondial and Ausstellungsraum Klingental team member
Short list: The Moscow and Zurich offices of Pro Helvetia
Final decision: the board of the “Ausstellungsraum Klingental” and the jury of Atelier Mondial will together determine the successful candidate.
If you have questions concerning the residency please write to email@example.com putting “curator-in-residency 2018” in the subject line
On photo: The Future of Your Head, 2008. Installation view Ausstellungsraum Klingental, Basel, Switzerland
About independent art space “Ausstellungsraum Klingental”
For generations Ausstellunsgsraum Klingental has served as a platform to discuss and present visual art projects developed in the region of Basel. It presents four to five exhibitions every year, alongside a variety of spontaneous events, concerts and performances. The program is run by artists and art historians and feeds on the ideas and initiative of its many volunteer contributors who like to move with ambition, diligence and limited budgets.
Ausstellungsraum Klingental is focused more on experiment and artistic research than on presenting established positions. It is a rather unique model of how to renew and sustain a city gallery on a high level. Guest curators can benefit from its widespread and hospitable networks. They will be invited to participate in Ausstellungsraum Klingental’s creative machinery /environment — which could be inspiring to all involved and inform the curators about the field where they will present their project towards the end of their residency.
From April 2018 Ausstellungsraum Klingental will be under reconstruction. The reconstruction process is predetermined by the city of Basel, and the team of Ausstellungsraum Klingental will be closely following the
building process as well as thinking creatively about how to be present on site during this period. The artistic programme Ausstellungsraum Klingental won’t be put on hold during the reconstruction but rather question the notion of art space and what makes it as such.
About Atelier Mondial
Atelier Mondial is an International Arts Exchange Program which offers visual artists from the region of Basel, Southern Germany and Alsace (France) the opportunity to spend a number of months working abroad. Atelier Mondial has nine studios in the trinational region of Basel and currently arranges exchanges with ten partner organizations abroad. Salon Mondial surrounded by the seven live-in studios for the guest artists from around the world is a 135m2 exhibition space on the first floor at Freilager Platz 10. Here Atelier Mondial organizes its own exhibitions presenting the work of the currently residing guest artists as well as of exchange studio grantees from the region.